Saturday 13 February 2010

Bad Experiences Can Be Twisted

Emotions can be tricky little things to put into words. If you haven’t had a certain experience, how are you supposed to know how your characters are feeling? Sure, you can easily guess and do a damn good job at it, but you’ll never really know that gut wrenching pain or how a tingle runs up your spine so fast that you want to collapse on the floor and stay there.

And eventually, when you do have that experience, no matter how painful, your writing will benefit from it.

My gay characters have always been strong. They’ve always had the right comeback when bullies have been on their case, they’ve always known just what to do to keep on top of everything. These characters have always been based slightly on one of my friends who came out while in school. He was bullied so badly and at first his self-esteem hit rock bottom. But then he picked himself up and eventually was able to snap his fingers at those bullies and laugh -- well, maybe not snap his fingers, but you get what I’m trying to say.

Personal story time. *Hands out popcorn*

Last night I went clubbing, and while in one club some girl came up to me and was a real bi-atch. She didn’t really say that much, ’So you’re the one who thinks she’s gay’-- cue turned up nose -- but it was the way she said it. Plus, she outed me to my girl best friend who didn’t know about my sexuality.

I just broke down. I had to leave. And the emotions that were running through me were something I’d never felt before. I cried all the way home, and then I locked myself in the bathroom and cried for three hours. It didn’t help that it was bloody freezing in that bathroom and I was still in my miniskirt and top.

So, what I’m trying to say is, bad experiences can be twisted into good. Now that I’ve had that experience, I’m able to show it realistically in my writing. And I plan to do so in my next WIP. So, I guess something good came out of last night.

Until next time.

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally up for writing emotions you felt, because it feels so much more real and honest in your WIP.

    I'm sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had to go through that. And you're right - your experience will help you become a better writer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, capturing your felt emotions in writing makes it just so much more convincing.
    Oh, crap. I'd punch that girl. I'm sorry you went through that.
    *offers chocolate*
    :))

    ReplyDelete